Quality and Innovation the Topic of Mining Conference
APEGS and CIM presidents, vice president of University of Saskatchewan and Cameco among keynote speakers
Mining industry experts and quality professionals are among the scheduled keynote speakers June 7-9 at a summit designed to share business tools that can increase productivity and efficiencies in mining.
The Canadian Quality Summit and Mining Gala, hosted by ASQ’s Saskatchewan Section and Mining Special Interest Group, will be held on June 7 at the Saskatoon Sheraton Cavalier and on June 8 and 9 at the Saskatoon Hilton Garden Inn.
ASQ is the leading authority of quality in all sectors and the world’s largest network of people passionate about quality.
The summit will offer workshops, tours of the Saskatchewan Research Council Diamond Lab and POS Bio-Sciences, sessions on business excellence in manufacturing and quality in mining project management, networking opportunities and more.
“The inauguration of ASQ’s Mining Special Interest Group is a unique opportunity to bring together some of the world’s brightest talents in the quality and mining industry,” said Jay Kalra, Patron ASQ Quality in Mining Special Interest Group. “It is our hope that new innovative ideas will flourish to improve the quality of mining through the process of networking and transferring knowledge.”
Keynote speakers at the event include:
- Brett Fairbairn, Ph.D., who serves as provost and vice president academic at the University of Saskatchewan. Fairbairn is the senior university leader for planning, budgeting and assessment, and is also responsible for academic quality.
- Chuck Edwards, president of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, and director of Metallurgy with AMEC in Saskatoon. Edwards was involved in the engineering design of all of the current uranium facilities in Saskatchewan.
- Peter Jackson, president of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS) and vice president operations of MOSAIC Potash. Jackson is a leader in Potash research and development and has vast experience in operating both conventional and solution mining.
- R. Liam Mooney, vice president of safety, health, environment and quality of Cameco Corp. Cameco, the world’s leading uranium mining company, is the keystone sponsor of the Canadian Quality Summit and Mining Gala Event.
- Peter Merrill, an innovation expert who has been a keynote speaker at numerous quality-related events, including ASQ’s World Conference on Quality and Improvement, and more recently the Baltic Nordic Excellence Conference in Estonia.
“This summit will provide attendees with innovative ways quality tools can be used to benefit the mining industry,” said Rajeev Chadha, chair of ASQ Saskatchewan and vice president of ASQ Mining Special Interest Group. “These tools, when used properly, can help increase efficiencies and the productivity of mining.”
For more information about the event, visit asqsask.org.
ASQ is a global community of people dedicated to quality who share the ideas and tools that make our world work better. With millions of individual and organizational members of the community in 150 countries, ASQ has the reputation and reach to bring together the diverse quality champions who are transforming the world’s corporations, organizations and communities to meet tomorrow’s critical challenges. ASQ is headquartered in Milwaukee, Wis., with national service centers in China, India and Mexico. Learn more about ASQ’s members, mission, technologies and training at www.asq.org.
Posted May 3, 2012